Services offered

Services offered

School Division Services for Children

Mental health services for children can be provided by school divisions across Manitoba. School-based supports can provide a variety of mental health related services and programming that occur in the school setting. Services may be provided by school psychologists, clinical psychologists, guidance counsellors, classroom teachers and other specialized professionals.

To find out what mental health programs are offered in with your child’s school, speak with your child’s teacher or school guidance counselor. If you want general information on mental health services that school divisions can provide, visit the link below to get contact information of Manitoba schools.

Regional Health Authority (RHA) Services

As listed on the Government of Manitoba – Manitoba Healthy Living and Seniors website (, the following mental health services and supports may be offered to Manitobans by the regional health authority you reside in. Mental health services are typically provided in the community or in hospitals/psychiatric centres.

Services offered by RHAs to individuals with a mental illness:

  • Community Mental Health provides comprehensive assessment, case management, rehabilitation/treatment, supportive counselling and crisis intervention, community consultation and education. Community Mental Health services are operated by Regional Health Authorities and assist people with mental health difficulties to develop coping and living skills and obtain other community services needed to meet their living needs and personal goals. There are several types of community mental health workers including Adult Workers, Child and Adolescent Workers, and Psychogeriatric Workers
  • Intensive Case Management Programs (ICM) work with individuals who have clearly identified goals in areas like school, work, home or their social life. This program provides more intensive and continuous support than the community mental health worker model, and has a strong emphasis on psychosocial rehabilitation. People entering the Intensive Case Management program usually have a strong desire to make major changes in their lives, but require support and assistance in achieving these goals because of mental health difficulties.
  • The Program for Assertive Community Treatment (PACT) works with persons who have a persistent and severe mental illness and experience serious difficulties in meeting basic daily needs in the community. These individuals frequently have co-occurring disorders (both a mental health and substance abuse diagnosis) and are at high risk of hospitalization and homelessness. A Program for Assertive Community Treatment was implemented in Winnipeg in 2000.
  • Proctor Programs provide supportive services to assist individuals to develop community living skills and other social, recreation, and/or educational interests and goals. Proctors are usually casual paraprofessionals who work under the direction of community mental health workers (CMHW or ICM), usually in accordance to an established rehabilitation plan,
  • The Provincial Special Needs Program offers highly individualized services to persons with a mental health disorder or disability who pose a high risk to themselves and are not eligible for other existing services. Services include in-depth assessment, consultation, case management, and coordination of community-based program and support options.
  • Mobile Crisis Units provide crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to persons experiencing emotional or mental health crises. Services are provided in the community, usually within individuals’ residences and includes screening and psychiatric assessment, crisis intervention and counselling, referral and short-term follow-up with other mental health and social services. This service is provided by various Regional Health Authorities.
  • Crisis Stabilization Units are short-term community-based settings that provide mental health intervention to persons who require specialized mental health supports but not hospitalization. Crisis stabilization units usually have a nurse on shift who is able to assist with medication management and other medical and psychiatric issues. Individual stays in crisis stabilization units vary considerably, but usually do not exceed two weeks.
  • Safe Houses are short-term residential settings for individuals who require a caring, supportive environment to help them manage an emotional or mental health crisis. Safe houses are often staffed by consumers, and usually do not have the nursing expertise to manage acute psychiatric crises.
  • Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Teams provide immediate and short-term interventions to persons who have experienced a potentially traumatic event. Critical events can include suicides, murders, major accidents and other emergencies. Critical incident debriefing teams provide post-trauma debriefings, education, and referral to longer-term community resources.
  • Vocational and Employment Supports provide assistance to persons wanting to pursue and secure employment. Services include career guidance counselling, education and training, referral and job finding assistance, and employment placement. Programs vary from pre-vocational education and on-site job training to casual employment placement.
  • Housing and Community Living Programs are available to persons who may experience difficulties living independently because of mental health difficulties. Supported housing (non-facility based) assists people to choose, obtain, and keep housing in the community. Other housing service options vary from residential care facilities (which provide a full range of services including meal preparation, medication administration, laundry, and assistance with daily living skills) to supportive housing options (which focus on rehabilitation and the development of independent community living skills).
  • Social and Recreational Programs offer a variety of supports and skill development activities for persons interested in becoming involved in social and leisure activities. These activities are structured to assist people with mental health difficulties to pursue individual interests and develop meaningful social and living roles within their community.
  • Cross-Cultural Mental Health Specialists provide community mental health assistance to persons with mental health difficulties that have difficulty accessing and using community resources because of language and cultural differences. Many of these people may be refugees or recent immigrants to Canada. Services are similar to those provided by community mental health workers, although with increased attention to ethnic and cross-cultural issues. This is a Winnipeg Regional Heath Authority position.
  • Acute-Care Treatment Facilities provide psychiatric care and treatment in inpatient psychiatric units of general hospitals or community health centres operated by Regional Health Authorities.
  • Outpatient Services are provided at many community hospitals and health centres. These services include identification, assessment, treatment and case management services for persons with mental health difficulties.

Services offered by RHAs to individuals with a mental illness AND to family members or other persons of an individual with a mental illness:

  • Self-Help and Family Supports are most often provided through formal associations of people, many of whom are either living with a mental illness or have family member with a mental illness. Self-help activities include mutual support, public education, advocacy and consumer-oriented services that promote the needs and priorities of people with mental health difficulties.
  • Prevention, Promotion and Public Education Services are advisory and education services to the public and professional groups, often provided by RHA mental health programs and self-help organizations.
  • The Mental Health Education Resource Centre of Manitoba is a lending library providing educational information to providers, consumers, caregivers, educators and the general public. The centre has a collection of books, videos, journals, presentation kits and newsletters on mental health. Information is also available through the centre’s web-site that includes an on-line lending library.
  • Crisis Lines provide telephone crisis intervention and suicide prevention services by trained volunteers and staff. These services provide immediate and short-term interventions, and can serve as referral links to other community mental health services. Most mobile crisis units and crisis stabilization units also provide telephone crisis intervention.
  • Help Lines are peer support telephone services that provide basic support, practical assistance, and information to persons struggling with emotional or mental health issues. These are not crisis lines, although they may make referrals to crisis lines and other mental health services.
  • The Manitoba Farm and Rural Stress Line provides province-wide phone support, counselling, practical assistance and information persons whose lives are in any way affected by farming, agriculture, and rural living. The line also a web-site which provides up-to-date information about services and resources available to rural Manitobans.

PLEASE NOTE: Because Regional Health Authorities have their own eligibility criteria and intake process, not all services listed above may be provided. It is important to check with your Regional Health Authority to find out what mental health services are available to you and your son/daughter in your area.

The link below provides the contact information for each Regional Health Authority: