Help and Support
These are organizations in Manitoba that are here to help you and answer any questions about ASD. Visit their websites to gain more information.
- Autism Society of Manitoba
- Asperger Manitoba Inc
- Community Living Manitoba
- Continuity Care
- Society for Manitobans with Disabilities
- Rehab Centre for Children
- Southcentral ASD Support Group
- Government of Manitoba – Information for Manitobans with Disabilities
- Autism Society of Canada
- Canadian Autism Spectrum Disorder Alliance
- Communication Disabilities Access Canada: People with Communication Difficulties
- Communication Devices Program
The Early Years
- The First Hundred Days, available from Autism Speaks.
- Child Care Resources, available from the Government of Manitoba website.
- Child Care Exchange
- Manitoba Child Care Association
Helpful resources for children
- How to Explain Autism to Typical Kids (and Lots of Others While You’re At It)
- How Do You Know When Your ASD Child is Being Bullied?
- How to Create the Ultimate Playroom for a Child with Autism
- 7 Rockin’ Sensory Play Activities for Kids on the Spectrum
- Ways to Help Your Child With Autism Fit In Socially
- Sensory Friendly Birthday Party Activities for Children with Autism
- Student Services/Special Needs in Manitoba Education, available from the Government of Manitoba.
- Funding for students with special needs in Manitoba schools, available from the Government of Manitoba.
- Educating Children About Autism in an Inclusive Classroom , a guide developed by the Government of PEI.
- A Resource Guide for Parents of Children with Autism: Supporting Inclusive Practice, a guide developed by the Government of PEI.
- What do you want to teach?, available from Positively Autism website.
High School Years and Transition to Community
- Bridging to Adulthood, A Protocol for Transitioning Students with Exceptional Needs from School to Community
- Transition Tool Kit: A guide to assist families on the transition from adolescence to adulthood, available from Autism Speaks.
- Planning for Adulthood: a transition booklet for students with special needs
- National Education Association of Disabled Students
- The Canadian Association of Disability Services Providers in Post-Secondary Education (CADSPPE)
- Disability Awards
- Campus Life at the University of Manitoba
- Transforming Futures at Red River College in Winnipeg
- Manitoba Council for Exceptional Children
- Transition to Adulthood: Information for Manitobans with disabilities, available from the Government of Manitoba.
- Services and Programs for Adults: Information for Manitobans with disabilities, available from the Government of Manitoba.
Mental Health and Anxiety
- All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome – Kathy Hooperman (Jessica Kingsley Press: 2006)
- Late, Lost and Unprepared: A Parent’s Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning – Joyce Cooper-Kahn, PhD and Laurie Dietzel, PhD (Woodbine House: Bethesda, MD 2008)
- The Road Ahead: Transition to Adult Life for Persons with Disabilities (3rd), by Storey & Hunter.
- Autism Awareness Centre Resource Book catalogue, available through the Autism Awareness Inc. website
- When Actions Speak Louder Than Words: Understanding the Challenging Behaviors of Young Children and Students with Disabilities by Kim Davis and Susan Dixon
- Spaghetti by Terry Doherty
- Learning to Listen: Positive Approaches and People with Difficult Behavior by Herbert Lovett
- Positive Behavior Supports in Classrooms and Schools: Effective and Practical Strategies for Teachers and Other Service Providers
- The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry by Lisa Schab
- The Fabric of Autism by Judith Bluestone
- Systematic Instruction of Functional Skills for Students and Adults with Disabilities by Storey & Miner.
- The Sensory Processing Disorder Answer Book by Tara Delaney
- The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents) by Elizabeth Verdick & Elizabeth Reeve
- Functional Assessment and Program Development for Problem Behavior: A Practical Handbook (3rd)
- The Autism Answer Book by William Stillman
- You’re Going to Love This Kid! By Paula Kluth
- Autism Society of West Shore
- Autism Central
- Asperger Experts
- Imagine Consulting
- Talk About Autism
- The Sinneave Foundation, available from The Ability Hub website.