The Employment and Income Assistance Program (EIA) provides financial help to Manitobans who have no other way to support themselves or their families. For people who are able to work, EIA will help them go back to work by providing supports to employment.
EIA provides benefits (money) to help you with the costs of things like:
- food, clothing, personal and household needs
- shelter and utilities (e.g. water, hydro, heat)
- basic dental, optical and prescription drugs
- health-related supplies or equipment not provided by other programs
- supports to help you find and start a job
EIA provides additional benefits to cover extra costs for people living in remote or northern regions of Manitoba.
You may be eligible for assistance if the total cost of your or your family’s monthly basic needs is more than your total financial resources. Your financial resources are based on your income and assets. Some of your income and assets may not affect your eligibility.
The amount of your or your family’s basic needs is based on:
- the number of people in your family, their ages and relationships to each other
- the EIA basic allowance rate for your family size
- the cost of your shelter, utilities and fuel
- the cost of some of your ongoing health needs
For information on how to apply for EIA or to set up a Pre-Intake Orientation, make an intake appointment, or find the EIA office that you should go to, please call
- 948-4000 if you are in Winnipeg
- 1-877-812-0014 (toll free) if you are outside of Winnipeg